Friday, February 4, 2011

Service at Carmel Retirement Village


I had an amazing day today.  I played the harp for the residents at Carmel Village.  For those of you who don't know, my platform "Compassion for the Convalescing" involves my talent as a harpist.  I am able to enhance my platform as I play at senior and convalescent centers. I have also had the chance to play for the kids at CHOC Hospital.  Today was very special because I played for a lot of wonderful people and I know they enjoyed it.


Don Alexander from the GG Journal and Rotary Club asked if I could play at Carmel Village.  His mother and mother-in-law are living there and he wanted me to come and play for them.  The center wanted me to play during the happy hour in the afternoon so I got to play for more people than expected.  Don and his mother arrived and I was excited to see them both.

I gave everyone a little concert/recital of recognizable tunes and they even started to hum along during some of the songs.  I could also see Don's mother swaying her head to each song I played. It warmed my heart to see her enjoying it.  I only played for an hour, but it was all worth it.  While I was playing, it was so quiet in the room, you could hear a pin drop.  I even got a couple requests before I started to play, like tunes from Phantom of the Opera and "Somewhere Over the Rainbow"--that was their favorite.



 Don's mother, is in the wheelchair...she is so sweet :)


After I was done, everyone was so happy and I could tell they loved hearing the music I played for them.  Don was so happy that his mother could make it because he told me that she was happy as well.  She had a huge smile on her face.  Days like this remind me of why I really play the harp.  I feel so blessed to be able to have a talent where I am able to make a living and do community service too.  I truly feel that this is the mission that my Heavenly Father gave me, and I'm so glad I get to help people feel His presence as I play my music.  I know I can help people in need feel comfort not only from my music, but from God as well.

Thank you Don for giving me this wonderful opportunity.  I am humbled from this experience today.

With love from your Miss Garden Grove 2011,
Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment